Long before pharmaceutical companies started mass producing assorted pills in every shape and color imaginable, medicines and remedies were derived from nature. Even though a trip to the drug store is quick and convenient, it’s important to not overlook natural herbal benefits. Butterbur extract, for instance, has been used for centuries as a remedy for many ailments, and continues to be researched and studied today as a treatment for many conditions and symptoms such as an allergy treatment and one of the most effective herbs for migraines. Read through our list of 10 butterbur extract benefits to see if you can benefit from this effective herb:
1. Gastrointestinal Grief: Butterbur extract has been touted as a remedy for upset tummies and even ulcers, although conclusive research leaves this theory yet unproven.
2. Wound Wizard: When applied to the skin, it is thought that this herbaceous honey can help naturally bandage boo boos.
3. Problematic Pee-Pee: Spasms of the muscles in the urinary tract along with irregular bladder symptoms are purportedly remedied with butterbur extract. Another urinary exploit? It’s believed that it also acts as a diuretic.
4. Mighty Migraine Martial Artist: Symptoms of a migraine headache are supposedly no match for the power of butterbur, and it has long been reported, and scientifically studied, to be a genuinely promising combatant. Butterbur for migraines has been proven to reduce both the occurrence and the harshness of these often debilitating headaches.
5. Cough Controller: Possibly a positive side effect of its muscle spasm control, coughs are allegedly better managed when taking butterbur.
6. Swelling Specialist: It has been considered that the components of butterbur might be an effective agent against inflammation and swelling.
7. Restlessness Representative: Butterbur extract benefits may also hypothetically include being a useful means of preventing and treating insomnia.
8. Allergy Assassin: Probably the best known practical use of butterbur extract benefits is in allergy treatment. In fact, people have been using butterbur for allergies for centuries, and some say it’s as effective as Zyrtec.
9. Temperature Tamer: Both fever and chills are reportedly reduced with butterbur extract.
10. Stammering Stopper: Although theoretical at best, butterbur extract has been used as a treatment for those who just can’t seem to spit it out.
No matter which ailment you select butterbur extract for, make absolutely certain of a few things before purchasing. First, whatever you buy MUST be PA (pyrrolizidine alkaloids) free. Products that are not PA free can cause serious liver and organ damage. Additionally, proper dosage is essential, and you will find most supplements ranging from between 50 and 100 mg, many also containing rosmarinic acid. Lastly, it’s imperative that you discuss any supplements that you are considering with your health care provider to ensure that you are not taking anything (even herbals!) that will interfere with your current health conditions or medications.